Chapter 2 - School Days
During the years at Roxeth Manor School the Club took part in many local exhibitions and events, usually by setting up a display of amateur radio equipment and an exhibition station with a special callsign such as GB3RSH. This was supported by RSGB leaflets, QSL cards etc.
The Harrow Show was regularly supported until the cost of hiring the marquee became prohibitive. Exhibition stations were also organised at the annual Gayton Fair which took place in the Harrow County School grounds, open days in Kodak Hall and the Wembley Crafts Fair held at Copland School, where many of our members had attended the RAE evening classes run by the late Alan Bayliss G8PD. Assistance was also provided in setting up a station for a local Scout group to help them to take part in the annual world wide Jamboree on the Air held in October.
This picture shows the Club putting on an exhibition station in the early days. The exact date is not known and neither are the people in the picture.
The Club also participated regularly in the RSGB HF NFD which was, as now, held over a week-end in early June. It was an all HF Bands, CW only affair restricted to 10w. Because of this, aerial configurations were important.
The contest team generally consisted of Brian G3HBR, Arnold G3HBW, the Bolton brothers G3HBN and G3JBN, Ron Ray G2TA, Arthur G3GNM and the ever present Don G3MLS. Various sites were used: Jackets Lane Northwood, Pinner Hill Farm and the field at Old Redding, Bushey opposite "The Case is Altered" hostelry.
The year 1967 marked the 21st Anniversary of the Society's formation and to celebrate this in October a dinner was arranged at the Clay Pigeon in Eastcote. This was very successful and the Committee decided to make it an annual event. However, after another successful venture in 1968 at the Tithe Farm Rayners Lane, the following one in 1969 was poorly supported. As this resulted in a heavy financial loss to the Club the idea was dropped for several years.
Meanwhile, the Club Newsletter, QSO, appears to have lapsed early in 1951 and the next one to appear was started in 1967 to mark the 21st Anniversary year. It was now called "QZZ" and the new Editor was Russell G3JVM. No copies of any newsletters have been found, if indeed any existed, between 1952 and 1966. You may ask the inevitable question, "Why is the Club magazine called QZZ?" Ron Ray, the Secretary of the Club at the time, tells us that the Committee of the day were determined to launch a magazine which would be the 'Last word in Radio Club mags' and you can't get further in the Q code than Q double Z!
Since 1967, QZZ has been in and out of production several times and with various Editors but has had an unbroken run since the Club moved to the Harrow Arts Centre in 1978. Since 1980, it has been edited by Chris G4AUF. The content these days is prepared on computer and includes all sorts of effects and graphics.
Towards the end of 1971, friction developed between the Club and the Roxeth School management and as a result the Committee decided that the best way to overcome this was to move to another QTH.
On to Chapter 3 - available soon